Sunday, March 1, 2009

Snowy night



Tonight as I sat by the window, I saw the snowflakes fall, slowly, almost gingerly as if they did not want to disturb me. Their slow, yet steady movement, made me want to fly again. This time I wondered if I could I fly to the future? Could I go to a world where hunger is a scarcity? A world that has found a way to control violence. A world where abuse, whether domestic or international has been eliminated from society and diversity is embraced. I would fly to a world where our younger generation does not learn about hate from their environment but rather compassion by example. I would enjoy living in a world that would embrace positive change.

I shudder from a chill as I noticed that I am sitting by my window again. The snow is still coming down worse than before because I can barely distinguish the street lamp outside. I realize when I look out from my window, that my world is changing. The snow changes everything from shadow to light just as rain brings life to grass, trees and flowers. Change even so subtle is positive. Positive attitude will make the world change. So I smile and promise to keep smiling as I try to make others smile. A smile is not hurtful but it can change a person's day from gloom to happy. When I look out the window again, I see my neighbor trudging through the snow. He stops and I get his attention. I smile as I wave my hand in greeting.

New Vocabulary:
  • distinguish : not able to recognize or see

  • subtle: slight; small; barely able to perceive.

  • realize: to understand

  • control: to be able to restraint or limit ability of others

  • compassion: the awareness and deep feeling for the feelings good or bad of others.

  • diversity: being different

  • trudge: to walk with difficulty

Fill in the blanks with above vocabulary:

1. The __________of cultures found in the school increased the awareness of other languages and traditions.

2. As he was driving , the rain suddenly come down hard and he could not _________the road up ahead.

3. The turtle made a _________movement when he saw the boy approach.

4. They ___________that the red bird was alive when he flapped his wing.

5. He could not ___________the angry mob with his passive words.

6. Diana is a very kind and __________ young girl. She always is ready to help.

7. At the end of a difficult day, the bus driver _______ up the path to his house.

Subordinate conjunction:
Specific conjunctions that unite two independent clauses or an independent clause and a dependent one are called subordinate conjunctions.
An example: Jake arrived on time to pick up his girlfriend. (independent )
They were late for the opera. (independent)
Conjunction: Even though.


Even though Jake arrived on time to pick up his girlfriend, they were late for the opera.
Other conjunction that follow this pattern are: if, after, when, as, until, unless, because , when and others.

See if you can pick out a three subordinate conjunctions in the paragraphs above. Notice how they are uniting two independent clauses that are related to the idea of the story. Following these examples and create 3 sentences using the subordinate conjunctions you have found.

Warning: Do not be fooled by the coordinating conjunctions: but, and, so.
Enjoy and Smile!


1 comment:

  1. This entry is quite poetic. Well done! I love the quiet when the snow falls. It is such a welcome sound.

    ReplyDelete